23 Lessons for 23 Years
I turned 23 on July 5th while departing for Korea. Here are the top 23 lessons I have learned thus far in my journey through this life (inspired by many of my favorite songs).
1. "My God is SO BIG, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do!"
This has to be the most important lesson that I continue to learn more and more about with each additional year of life. There really is nothing my God cannot do.
2. "He's still working on me, to make me what I oughta be..." - Bill & Gloria Gaither
God reminds me of this at least once a day.
3. "The sun will come out tomorrow..." - Annie, Martin Charnin
This is a true and powerful form of hope.
4. "For one so small, you seem so strong." - Tarzan, Phil Collins
Fun fact: Tarzan was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. Phil Collins will always have a special place in my heart because of that.
5. "If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking." - John Mark McMillan
If you know my story, you know how important the song "How He Loves" is to me.
6. "We're all in this together!" - High School Musical, Robbie Nevil
Catchy and so, so true... What team?! If you know, you know...
7. "If the life don't seem to suit ya, how about a change of scene? Far from the lousy headlines and the deadlines in between." - Newsies, Jack Feldman
I searched for my "Santa Fe" for many years and found it in a way I never expected... Gotta love Newsies!
8. "There's always gonna be another mountain... You're always gonna wanna make it move." - Miley Cyrus
Thanks for that, Miley.
9. "Don't stop believing!" - Journey
You better believe it.
10. "In Christ alone, my hope is found." - Stuart Townend
11. "You can't always get what you want, but, if you try sometimes, well, you just might find you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
At 23, I can honestly say that there have been plenty of moments throughout my life when I would have liked things to have gone differently than they did. That is why I am so incredibly grateful God is in charge and I am not. God's way is always the best way.
12. "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone. Because I know, He holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lives." - Bill Gaither
13. "Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten." - Natasha Bedingfield
14. "The thing I find most amazing in amazing grace is the chance to give it out. Maybe that's what love is all about..."
- Brandon Heath
"I'm Not Who I Was" helped me tremendously during my middle school years. What powerful lyrics.
15. "I'm not sentimental; this skin and bones is a rental." - Switchfoot
Switchfoot helped me tremendously through my high school years.
16. "Winter, spring, summer, or fall—all you have to do is call, and I'll be there. You've got a friend." - James Taylor
As I neared the end of my high school career, my sister played this song for me. James Taylor is my dude. For anyone reading this—no matter how much time passes—I will always make myself available for you if you need a friend.
17. "I hope when you take that jump, you don't fear the fall." - OneRepublic
I had the opportunity to sing those lyrics with one of my best friends at our high school graduation. That will always be one of my favorite moments from high school.
18. "Thank you for everything I know." - In the Heights, Lin-Manuel Miranda
My goal is to be a life-long learner. The people who I have learned the most from thus far would hands-down have to be all of my incredible grandparents. This one is for them—and for anyone who has ever taught me anything. Thank you.
19. "If the wind goes where you send it, so will I." - Hillsong United
"Here am I, send me" is a prayer i have been praying since I was in middle school.
20. "This is my quest, to follow that star—no matter how hopeless, no matter how far—to fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a Heavenly cause." - Man of La Mancha, Joe Darion
21. "History has its eyes on you." - Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda
Hamilton. Hamilton. Hamilton.
22. "If You say release, I'm letting go..." - Influence Music
23. "It costs farewell tears for a welcome-home parade." - Sleeping At Last
Goodbyes are hard, but they always lead to the best reunions. I am looking forward to the day when we all can finally reunite and never have to say goodbye ever again. That will be a beautiful day.
God only knows what He will teach me in my 24th year of life... Looking forward to new music, horizons, and people to experience it all with—in addition, of course, to the many people God has already placed in my life. Again, thank you for everything I know.
South Korea update for everyone: I have made it safely to Seoul, we have already started orientation, and the food here is amazing! I am hoping to put together another vlog update in the next week or two as I continue to get settled! Love you all!
James Davisson is just a small man with a big heart, serving a much bigger God.